The Cathedral houses the silver altar, one of the most prominent works of Italian and European Gothic goldsmithery, and a relic of Saint James.
The first traces of the Cathedral date back to the year 923. The building owes its current appearance to subsequent modifications carried out during the 12th, 14th and 15th centuries.
The portico, which includes a terracotta Madonna and Child (1505) by Andrea della Robbia, was built in the 14th century. Two marble statues of San Jacopo, on the right, and Sant Zeno, on the left, stand on the top of the façade.
The Cathedral is home to some of the city’s most important vestiges of the cult of Saint James. The most impressive of these is certainly the silver altar, one of the most prominent works of Italian and European Gothic goldsmithery, the construction of which began in 1287 and continued throughout the 14th and 15th centuries.
Outside the Cathedral, there is the Compass Rose, in which the pilgrim’s scallop shell, the badge of the pilgrim, is set, another symbolic link with the capital of Galicia.
Ufficio IAT Pistoia - Piazza Duomo, 1 (+39 0573 21622); Pistoia Sacra Info Point - Ripa del Sale
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.