The church houses the high altar, designed by Gian Lorenzo Bernini, and the great altarpiece, by Pietro Berrettini da Cortona, depicting the Apparizione di Cristo a Sant’Ignazio.
While the construction of the Jesuit College began in 1641, and work on the Church of Sant’Ignazio di Loyola began in 1647, the latter was subsequently consecrated to the Spirito Santo in 1774 and represented a “new” building for Pistoia with respect to other works that were being carried out on buildings of medieval origins.
The large hall contains Roman Baroque decorative elements. Lodovico Gemignani, one of the artists who worked for Giulio Rospigliosi, was commissioned by the Cardinal to paint three paintings for his family’s chapel, while in 1664 he also commissioned the construction of the majestic Hermans organ.
But the church’s most prominent artwork is by far the high altar, for which Giulio Rospigliosi turned to Gian Lorenzo Bernini, who had it built by Mattia de’ Rossi in 1670. On the altar, the Cardinal placed the great altarpiece by Pietro Berrettini da Cortona, depicting the Apparizione di Cristo a Sant’Ignazio. On the side of the church is the Palace of the Rospigliosi family.
Mon-Fri 9:00-10:30, Sun and holidays 9:00-13:00
Ufficio IAT Pistoia - Piazza Duomo, 1 (+39 0573 21622); Punto informativo Pistoia Sacra - Ripa del Sale
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.